what was i supposed to do with my life?



I've been taking a look at "I Could Do Anything (if I Only Knew What it Was): How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It" by Barbara Sher. I've decided to put my exercises from the book here because it may be inspiring to someone else to see them.

The idea of this exercise is to think of the messages you get from family, society, friends, whatever, about what you were supposed to be doing with your life by this point. Sher's message is that we aren't doing what we want because we are stuck, maybe because of fear (of failure, of being judged as silly, or shallow) or because we think we should be doing something other than what we want. 

Below are some of the things I feel I should be doing at this point:
  • Being the smart pragmatic responsible one who has her shit together and impresses her family.
  • Being an artist of some kind?? A writer? A professional choreographer?
  • Being an attorney. Using that smart pragmatic brain in the most respectable career possible.
  • Being a stay at home mom who is amazingly attentive and creative and has activities planned and make delicious meals and sews her children’s clothes.
  • NOT being a stay at home mom! What kind of feminist does that? Should be climbing the executive ladder somewhere.
  • Inspiring everyone in the entire world to face up to climate change and change their own  behavior, their consumption, the way companies operate both domestically and abroad.
  • Participating in the process – demonstrating, maybe even running for office. If I think the people in power are corrupt I should do something about it right?
  • Being a back-to-the-land-er. It is irresponsible to do anything at all other than being 100% responsible for my own food, water, shelter and waste.



No comments:

Post a Comment